Recertification – Public Safety Scuba Instructor
There is a maximum of one recertification per order. The trainer’s name is required to purchase this item. The recertification link will be emailed with the order confirmation and receipt.
If paying with a purchase order, access to the recertification link may be delayed as purchase orders are only processed during business hours.
In an attempt to ensure competency, proficiency and safety during public safety diving operations, Public Safety Scuba Instructors (PSSI) are required to recertify every 3 years.
If you are already expired, please contact Dive Rescue International before purchasing this recertification.
NOTE: It is the sole responsibility of the PSSI to notify Dive Rescue International of any address/department changes.
Public Safety Scuba Instructor Recertification
- Teach/co-teach a minimum of one initial, refresher or crossover Public Safety Diver (PSD) program within the three-year certification period
- Submit all Dive Rescue International (DRI) class rosters and accompanying Emergency Action Plan forms within 10 days of class completion
- Ensure your mailing address, email address, department/organization or telephone number are up-to-date since your initial DR1T class or your last recertification. Contact us at [email protected] to update your trainer profile, if needed.
- Successful completion of the IADRS Watermanship Test and SCUBA Skills Review within the last 12 months of the recertification date
- Complete the online PSSI recertification exam (with a score of 85% or higher)
The following paperwork must also be completed for PSSI recertification:
- A signed copy of the Public Safety Scuba Instructor Standards and Agreements
- A current RSTC Medical Statement, signed by a physician
- Signed and initialed copy of the Statement of Understanding/Liability Release and Express Assumption of Risk
- Letter of department sponsorship/insurance coverage (Sample Sponsorship Letter)
- Proof of current CPR training
- Proof of current First Aid, EMT or Paramedic certification
- Photocopy of 18 logged dives during the last 3 year period (6 dives must be in the last 12 months, and 1 pool dive per year is allowed)*
- Instruct one or more initial, refresher, or crossover Public Safety Diver (PSD) programs within the three-year certification period and submit all Dive Rescue International class rosters (and accompanying Emergency Action Plan forms)
- Digital photograph or selfie (for new trainer card)
*NOTE: Logged dives should include the following information if possible: dive tender’s name, supervisor or team leader’s name, nature of dive, date, location, bottom time and water type (i.e. depth, visibility and temperature).