respond to swiftwater emergency situations
Duration – 3 days (24 hours)
Recommended for – Water rescue teams, law enforcement and fire service personnel
- Member of a public safety agency
- At least 18 years of age
- Certificate of basic swiftwater training from a recognized training organization within the last 3 years
Students should be prepared for multiple challenging in-water scenarios. All students are required to have basic swiftwater rescue skills including:
- Excellent swimming skills
- Operational experience with high-lines
- Working knowledge of knots, rigging, and mechanical advantage systems.
- Swimming challenges
- Swiftwater rescue board drills
- Identifying high probability search areas
- Rescue and recovery procedures
- Body characteristics in moving water
- Triage exercises
- Water-bound victim extrication exercises
- Strainer drills
- Search strategies and techniques
Dive Rescue International’s renowned program for public safety swiftwater responders teaches the knowledge and skills needed to successfully organize and manage inherently dangerous and complicated swiftwater rescue events to maximize positive outcomes.
Note To Applicants
This program is designed for personnel who are physically fit. Participants are encouraged to participate after successfully completing the IADRS Watermanship Test or testing to a fitness level of 13 MET (Metabolic Equivalents) or greater. Participants with aerobic fitness questions or concerns should consult their physician prior to in-water training. Participants who have poor aerobic fitness may attend this program as surface support personnel with the approval of the instructor.