respond to swiftwater emergency situations
Duration – 3 days (24 hours)
Recommended for – Water rescue teams, law enforcement and fire service personnel
Prerequisites – Member of a public safety agency, at least 18 years of age and certificate of basic swiftwater training from a recognized training organization within the last 3 years.
All students are required to have basic swiftwater rescue skills including:
- Excellent swimming skills
- Operational experience with high-lines
- Working knowledge of knots, rigging, and mechanical advantage systems. Students should be prepared for multiple challenging in-water scenarios.
- Swimming challenges
- Swiftwater rescue board drills
- Identifying high probability search areas
- Rescue and recovery procedures
- Body characteristics in moving water
- Triage exercises
- Water-bound victim extrication exercises
- Strainer drills
- Search strategies and techniques
Course Registration Form
This physically demanding program is designed to improve your personal readiness to respond to swiftwater emergency situations. Dive Rescue International builds on your basic swiftwater rescue skills to run safe and successful operations.
Note To Applicants
This program is designed for personnel who are physically fit. Participants are encouraged to participate after successfully completing the IADRS Watermanship Test or testing to a fitness level of 13 MET (Metabolic Equivalents) or greater. Participants with aerobic fitness questions or concerns should consult their physician prior to in-water training. Participants who have poor aerobic fitness may attend this program as surface support personnel with the approval of the instructor.